Saturday, March 7, 2015

Back on Murder, book #23

Because again I am crazy mixed up with Book Club books -- and our meetings got messed up with the snow/ice stuff --  I decided to go ahead and finish this one.  I was hoping to get done before Book Club after all, but I did not.  My good buddy Angela didn't finish either and she was trying to get Marilyn (the only one who did finish it!) to tell her what happened but I wouldn't let her!  :)  Marilyn just kept assuring us it was worth reading to the end.

And boy was she right!!  Most of us who read it -- no, all of us! -- did not care for this at all.  It took a long time to get into it and there were so many references to "something that happened in the past that we shan't talk about" that it made it very confusing.  In the last quarter of the book it finally came out, but to me that was too long to keep us in suspense.  

They style of writing was also different than I was used to.  It was first person, which I have no objection to, but it was like he was on Law and Order or something like that where it's all tough guy and don't let your feelings show.  I kept waiting for the TA-DUM sound at the end of each chapter.  

In the end, though, the author did wrap it all up into a messy but complete little package.  There was closure, but also hints of more books.  I can deal with that.  But I'm not adding them to my 150+ books to read list.  

Det. Roland March is a homicide cop on his way out. But when he's the only one at a crime scene to find evidence of a missing female victim, he's given one last chance to prove himself. Before he can crack the case, he's transferred to a new one that has grabbed the spotlight--the disappearance of a famous Houston evangelist's teen daughter.

With the help of a youth pastor with a guilty conscience who navigates the world of church and faith, March is determined to find the missing girls while proving he's still one of Houston's best detectives. (picture and description from amazon.)


Keep Reading!

O:)
Melissa

No comments: