Friday, March 27, 2015

Joel and Amos, books #36 and #37


I am going to try and keep up better now that life has returned to .... well, I don't think there is any normal these days.  As my good friend says, "Normal is on a setting on the washer."

Plugged through Joel and Amos this morning.  Joel had an interesting effect on me, this little three chapter book.  It started out again, as with so many old testament prophet, doom! doom!  I was sort of ho humming through it thinking it's a wonder any of them are alive today when BAM! 

2:12-13  “Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.

2:18, 25-26  Then the Lord was jealous for his land and took pity on his people. “I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten— the great locust and the young locust, the other locusts and the locust swarm my great army that I sent among you. You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you; never again will my people be shamed.

Again, despite how detestable the acts they have done are, despite how horrible they have been, when they repent He will have pity on them!! 

3:16 But the Lord will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel.

Then there is Amos, who was not a prophet but a shepherd!  The word of the Lord still came to him!  Lots of judgements and laments here, especially again for His people Israel.  Tying into what I said yesterday about do you seek God more in your misery or your peacefulness, I found chapter 4 interesting.  The Lord mentions all this "bad" stuff He did to them ... gave them empty stomachs, withheld rain, ruined gardens and vineyards, sent plagues, and "yet you have not returned to me," declares the Lord. I guess for the Israelites it was easier to seek Him in the peacefulness.  The Lord reminded them over and over again in chapter five Seek the Lord and live, but they just refused. Seeing the big picture this side of history it makes you just want to scratch your head, but the same could be said out our nation.  

Big news coming the next day I have time to read!

O:)
Melissa


No comments: