Thursday, January 8, 2009

God and the Christmas Tree

When we moved into our current house in 2003, one of the things we loved were the 8' ceilings downstairs. My extra tall SH especially enjoyed having more head room. I never even considered it to be a problem until that December when we put our Christmas tree up. I had always thought we had a 7.5' tree, however the poor thing looked totally lost in the corner, all shrunk up and shriveled in height. I figured I might like a new tree that was taller, but since there are no 8' trees commonly found, I knew it would be a challenge. Besides, it didn't really bother SH, so I just keep putting the little guy up.

Well, after 19 years of enjoying of enjoying this tree and some mighty interesting work of God, we bought a new one after Christmas for a steal of a deal. I was very excited to get it home and set up, to see what it looked like and make sure all the lights worked. It was also a 7.5' tree. Well low and behold that new tree towered above the old one! At that very moment, five years after living in this house and having the old tree for 19 years, it occurred to me that our old tree was only a 6.5' or 7' tree!!! Did it ever dawn on me that if I had a 7.5' tree and 8' ceilings that maybe there wouldn't be such a large gap from the star to the ceiling? NO! Did it ever hit me that SH and the tree were about the same size? NO! So all this time I have been thinking I have a 7.5' tree when it was really only 6.5' or 7' !!!!

How often do we stay in one place because we think we can't do any better, only to realize when we do break out we truly can do better! And it's not always as painful as you think it may be to break out. Or maybe it is painful, but in a good way, with double the blessing: wounds healed by Jesus and the new thing!

I just love my Jesus and the way He speaks to me!

O:)
Melissa

1 comment:

Betty said...

Ohhh..this is all so true. We..I mean I get "comfortable" at times, but God does have a funny, yet loving way of showing us how to "step out of the box"!

Did anyone ever take y'alls free tree? We always get a real tree...otherwise I would have loved it.