Saturday, October 19, 2013

At the Scent of Water, book #47

When I start a book I always want to finish it.  No matter how bad it is, because I always want to hold out hope that it will get better.  And I have read some books I really wasn't sure it was going to happen.  But, in all my years of reading, there was only one book I read, where I hated it and I actually threw it away because I was so mad I had wasted my time.  (For the record, it was a used book I bought at a library sale so I didn't feel too bad about throwing it away!)

This book almost became one like that.  The first several chapters (maybe even up to 10!) were so incredibly depressing I thought I would die!  It is a church library book and I actually was going to return it last week.  But on a whim I found a friend who had read it and I asked her if it was worth it, if it was going to make me happy, if they were going to live happily ever after.  She assured me it would, but I wasn't sure.  

On a side note, it was a sweet conversation we had that veered off to teenagers and raising kids and it was just the shot in the arm I needed about being a good mama.  I'm adding this sweet lady to my list of mentor moms!!!

So, I did indeed finish it. In fact I consumed it.  Once it got past the yucky part and glimmers of hope started showing up I was hooked!  In fact, I was coming up on the amazing end last night where all the pieces were about to come together and I was so tired I kept falling asleep.  I was so mad, but during the night I got up to take care of some business (ahem!) and grabbed it and finished it in the bathroom.  The end was so wonderfully sweet and tender, but the epilogue just left me in happy tears!!!!   So my recommendation is persevere through the first part and you will be rewarded in the end!!!

Life is rewarding for Samuel Truelove. He's a gifted heart surgeon, he's married to the love of his life, and he has a beautiful daughter. But when he misdiagnoses his daughter's illness and is suddenly called away to perform emergency surgery, a deadly cascade of events is set in motion. After multiple tragedies, Sam withdraws into himself, takes a leave of absence, and joins a small town clinic. His search for redemption and healing will test the idea that God has the power--and the will--to repair what seems irreparably broken.
(picture and description from amazon.com

O:)
Melissa


No comments: