Wednesday, January 10, 2024

And so we begin again .....




And so we begin a new year with lots of new books to read!  I *may* to try get some nonfiction in, since Leah & Katie beg me to, but there are so many fiction books already on my Paperwhite .....

The first one I read this year was The Christmas Clue to Finding You, which was actually my one last Christmas leftover book.  It is by Pepper Basham, who I had never heard of until our good author/friend Krista Phillips mentioned her on her Facebook page.  I decided to give her a try and I was not disappointed!  I will probably be adding more of her books to my pile.  

After five years away, Piper Dawson returns home to Kedgewick Creek and is pulled into a Christmas Scavenger Hunt that resurrects a heartbreak from Christmas past she’s not quite ready to mend. Will a matchmaking granny, a little Christmas magic, and a cute guy in a kilt make all the difference to her Christmas yet-to-come? (picture and description at Amazon)

And then we have the new Tamara Alexander book.  It came out in November and I have been not very patiently waiting to read it.  It has been longer than normal for one of her books to release and once I got all caught up with all her other books, I wasn't sure I could wait another minute!  

But, my friends, it was worth the wait!  This is her first book written in modern times and she just went above and beyond.  

Claire Powell’s life is turned upside down when her beloved husband admits to a “near affair.” But when Stephen accepts a partnership with an Atlanta law firm without consulting her and buys a historic Southern home sight-unseen—it pushes their already-fractured marriage to the breaking point. Claire’s world spirals, and she soon finds herself in a marriage she no longer wants, in a house she never asked for.  In 1863, Charlotte Thursmann, pregnant and trapped in a marriage to an abusive husband, struggles to protect her unborn child and the enslaved members of her household. Desperate, she’s determined to right the evils her husband and others like him commit. But how can one woman put an end to such injustice? Especially if her husband makes good on his threat to kill her?  Both Claire and Charlotte discover truths about themselves they never realized, along with secrets long hidden that hold the power to bring God’s restoration—if only they choose to let it. (Picture and description at Amazon)
 
So many good quotes from the book:






I have been at a loss how to always pick a book or how to even try to work through all nearly books on my Paperwhite, but I came up with a small plan for this year.  I'm going to "Read the Alphabet".  So obviously not all the books in alphabetical order, but I am quite sure I will read more than 26, especially since we are reading the Bible through again this year!  But this way I have some direction of which way to go!

I can't wait to see what I read -- and what YOU read too!

Melissa





No comments: