Thursday, May 9, 2024

On Distant Shores, book #19

 



When I realized I had a week and a half to finish this book (which I had barely started) and read our next book for Book Club next week, I got busy reading FAST!!  We ended up being out of school today, thanks to a little tornado near us and flooding.  Luckily we weren't hurt, but it did hit close to my inlaws house.  

I read the first book in this series way back in 2018 and even then I knew I wanted to read the rest.  But for whatever reason, I didn't have the chance to get to until now.  Because it's an "O" book!!  Also because, I can't read too many war books in a row.  

One of the things I loved about this book is it ties in a fictional story with real history.  While this is not a "true" story, there are many things in the story that were real and did really happen.  I learned about how during WWII the pharmacists at the camps were not officers.  Many times, like many medical people during the war, they were given a few weeks training, a manual and shipped overseas.  That made it really hard on actual college trained pharmacists to do the type of work that was actually needed.*  I also learned about flight nurses during the time and the bare minimum training they received.  And, while this particular story wasn't true, how many female flight nurses felt the tug from their families to be home supporting the war instead of out in the field?

I always love it when a fiction book ties in so much "non-fiction" ~ it makes me feel like I double dipped! 

Lt. Georgiana Taylor has everything she could want. A comfortable boyfriend back home, a loving family, and a challenging job as a flight nurse. But in July 1943, Georgie's cozy life gets decidedly more complicated when she meets pharmacist Sgt. John Hutchinson. Hutch resents the lack of respect he gets as a noncommissioned serviceman and hates how the war keeps him from his fiancée. While Georgie and Hutch share a love of the starry night skies over Sicily, their lives back home are falling apart. Can they weather the hurt and betrayal? Or will the pressures of war destroy the fragile connection they've made?  (picture and description at Amazon)

Now, on to read our Book Club book fast too! 

Keep Reading!

Melissa

*upon doing some research, it ends up the author of this book actually used to be a pharmacist!  Read about it here.


No comments: