Thursday, October 8, 2026

In These Hills, book #31

 


I was only partially excited to read this new book by my favorite hometown author.  I mean, I was excited to read it because Tamara wrote it, but I didn't think I would like the subject too much.  You know I have a rant about alcohol in Christian Fiction, and the suffrage movement was not one I was overly interested in.  But I love Tamara, so I got into it.

I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it!  I learned A LOT about the suffragists.  I will never take my right to vote lightly any more.  What women went through just over 100 years ago was insane, and now we can't even get 10% of people to vote?!?  It's just crazy.  

While I am still not a fan of alcohol in Christian Fiction, I will confess that she did an interesting job showing how it is not only about making whiskey, but about supplying jobs and other things for the people of the town.  Anyway, I was glad it had a bigger picture view.

The almost end is a shocker, but I love how it turned out!  I should have known I would not be disappointed!

1905. Josephine Dunham is running for her life. After a women's suffrage rally in Atlanta turns deadly, she buys a one-way ticket on the first train out and lands in rural Tennessee. There, Dodge Coburn—a rough-edged stranger with undeniable appeal—begrudgingly offers her a ride to Lynchburg, a speck of a town where Josephine hopes to disappear.  Battered and desperate, Josephine has little to say when Dodge delivers her to Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House. Hoping to work in exchange for room and board, she soon discovers the only job matching her skills is at Jack Daniel's Distillery, an irony not lost on a suffragist committed to prohibition.  Dodge is skeptical of Josephine's claim that she's on the run from an abusive husband. But between running Jack Daniel's cattle farm and raising his young niece, he has little time or inclination to press her . . . at first. But when Josephine's convictions and compassion draw him in, Dodge begins to reconsider the life he's chasing, while Josephine must face a world far more complicated than the principles she's held to.  As Jack Daniel's Distillery gains national recognition, Josephine's secrets resurface. In a place where whiskey making takes time but justice is too often hurried, Dodge and Josephine must decide what—and who—they are willing to risk everything for, and whether faith will hold when the cost is high and time is running out. (picture and description at Amazon)

We are doing an American 250 Reading Challenge at school, so next up is an book about indigenous people [aka indians ;)] which I just started today.  



(Tamara and I at her recent book signing!)



'Who, Me? A Book Hoarder? I'm just well-prepared for the next 25 years!'

O:)

Melissa

No comments: