Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Wedding Machine, Book #19






As a reminder, these posts that I am doing are completely and only my shallow opinion (I flunked English Lit 3x in college, folks, don't expect too much here!).  Please do not use these as a guide for yourself as to whether to read a certain book or not, and please do not use this to judge me.  

This book has been on my list to read for a while.  I was excited to find it on sale at my dear BAM! a few months back and finally worked my way down to it.  It is listed as a Woman of Faith Fiction book and since I had a few in my library at church already, I am always on the hunt to "fill in my holes". 

I must say I was a little disappointed in this.  Again, I guess I was looking for fun and summery, maybe a little sassy, but this book ended up being more serious than I imagined.  And again, I guess maybe my rose colored glasses still jade my view of what is proper and appropriate and acceptable before the Lord.  In this book there is a lot of social drinking, which may be ok for some, but our family feels it is wrong.  Also, there were many deep and heavy secrets that I felt weighed the book down for me.  I have decided against putting it in the library and instead left it at the cabin we vacationed at last week for someone else to enjoy. 


Welcome to Jasper, South Carolina. A place where Southern hospitality thrives. Where social occasions are done right. And where, for generations, the four most upstanding ladies of this community ensure that the daughters of Jasper are married in the proper manner.
Friends from school days, "the gals" have long pooled their silver, china, and know-how to pull off beautiful events. They're a force of nature, a well-oiled machine. But the wedding machine's gears start to stick during the summer their own daughters line up to tie the knot. In the lowcountry heat and humidity, tempers flare, old secrets leak out . . . and both love and gardenias bloom in unlikely places. (picture and description from amazon.com)

No comments: