Sunday, June 29, 2014

Discovering your heart with the Flag Page, book #18


No, I did not read this book in 4 days or however long it has been since I lasted posted a book review.  I have actually been working on this one since February or March.  Not that it is a hard book to read, but I have picked it up, put it down, picked it up, put it down.  But now I am really finished reading it. But am I done with it?  Never!  I'm sure this will be a source book I go back to over and over again.

Earlier this year we went to Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage conference at church, led by Mark Gungor.  We did indeed laugh all weekend, but we also learned a lot too. One of the things he talked about the Flag Page, which is NOT a personality test, but instead focuses on our motivations -- what we truly love about life.  With this computer guided test, that takes about 5 minutes, you can learn all about what you love in life, which then translates into which "country" you live in, thus which "flag" represents you. (As in, the flag for that country.)  Ok, the metaphors are heavy, but this has opened my eyes to more things in my life as it is right now than any other book or test I have done.  

Long story short, here is a summary of me:

I live in Peace Country, which makes me just want everyone to get along.  I am happiest when my environment is tranquil, calm and secure.  

My adopted country (a close second!) is Perfect Country, because I have a high need for organization and I need to pursue new and improved ways to doing things.  

I am a Balanced person when it comes to soft and hard traits, but interestingly enough I do lean more on the hard side.  That means I am less of a relational person and more of a worker bee. 

So far as my talents (things I ranked highest) I am 47% Task Talents and 30% Creation Talents.  The other percents are made up of People Talents, Leading Talents, and Showman Talents.

But the most important part of the Flag Page is the Flag itself.  In order of importance to me of things I love:

1. Optimistic
2. Perfectionist
3. Avoids Conflict
4. Dry Sense of Humor
5. Neat

Once you learn all this about yourself, reading the book helps you understand more about how these traits can be used for good and how they can be used for bad.  It will also help you learn how you can express these to your family (especially your spouse!) and thus have better communication, thus making everything better.  [Yes, I was a communications major in college and I still firmly believe communication done right is the BEST thing for any relationship!] 

I cannot begin to tell you how this book opened my mind to so many issues in relationships I have been challenged by!  It has been for the better, but there are still things I just look at and say, "Well, God, what should we do about this?"   

Highly, highly, highly recommend this for anyone!!!

The Flag Page is an incredible program designed to help you discover who you are and more importantly....who God created you to be. If you are looking to discover the great things God has in store for you, you will want to create your own Flag Page.
In his book Discovering Your Heart with the Flag Page, national marriage speaker Mark Gungor explains how to interpret and understand the colorful printout that is the Flag Page. He shows the reader how to understand why they act and react the way they do, and what important needs they have in their life that are the keys to their success and happiness. By using the Flag Page, Mark has helped thousands of people discover and understand not only who they are and who God made them to be, but also understand the people closest to them. (picture and description from amazon)

O:)
Melissa

No comments: