Saturday, March 7, 2015

Psalms, book #24

First off, let me say that it is NOT my intention to sound sacrilegious AT ALL in this post.  I thoroughly LOVE the Psalms and treasure each and every word written in them.  This is simply my opinion on the WAY I read them, NOT the content. 

Again, whew.  I thought I would be so excited to read the Psalms because they are so wonderful and speak so much truth about real life, timeless.  But I began to think of it like this, remember Matilda the movie and the scene where the boy has to eat the whole chocolate cake?


And how the first few bites were really good, then he got to a point where it was not any good at all, but he kept chugging through?  Yeah, that is how I got about chapter 69.  

However, I did finally finish and had some takeaways:

1.  I love all the songs that have been made from the Psalms.  In my Bible, I always make a musical note to denote scripture turned song and, needless to say, Psalms is covered in them.
2. I love all the references to Jesus in here.  22:16-18. 31:5.
3. I wonder if when Psalm 23 was written the author had any idea it would be so famous.
4. A verse that has been a help for teenage girls : 30:5 - weeping lasts for a night but JOY comes in the morning.
5. Also, lots of references to Genesis, Moses and the Exodus.
6. 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.  Makes me ponder, what really are the desires of my heart?
7. 61:5 - You have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.  Why we named Leah - Leah Daniell.  Amazing story, our family's verse to claim.
8. The whole chapter 78 -- Israelites did good, then forgot, He punished, they begged for forgiveness, he forgave, the cycle started over.  Pretty much my life.
9. 103:4-5. [He will] redeem your life from the pit and crown you with love and compassion,  who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.  My verse to claim right now.
10.  Chapter 109 - If you want to say ugly things to someone and wish evil on them, flip out these verses and have at it.  Much more dignified than a string of curse words!  But, back then, did God love all people and desire all to come to him?  Often when I am mad at someone about something and want to think mean thoughts about them, I have to remind myself that God loves them.  And I have to give  myself pause.
11.  Our favorite when the girls were little, 126:21 He grants sleep to those he loves.  We know He loves us so He WILL grant sleep!!
12.  I feel like one of the main things the LORD is speaking to me in this is I WILL GIVE YOU A NEW SONG!!!


And yes, this part of the movie always makes me sick!!!

Keep Reading!

O:)
Melissa

No comments: