Monday, August 12, 2013

Reclaiming Lily, book #27





I must be a book reading  machine these days!!  While waiting to get the Blossom Street books from the library, I picked up this one from my bedside.  It captivated me at first, (a couple picking up a baby in a China orphanage in the early 90s before the boom, since I could totally see it in my mind) then got a little weird, then I could not put it down!!  It really just let me see another little crack into the world of Asian adoption, the families left behind, the adoptee himself/herself, the new family ..... and left me with many questions about the topic itself.  Even though we have never adopted, I know many, many families that have and I always love a good (or bad) adoption story. Remember, I'm a storyteller.  Love to hear them, love to tell them! I love to know the situation, how it came to be, if there were birth parents/grandparents, how much the adoptee knows/remembers from their past, if anything, how the birth children react (if there are any) ... things that probably aren't any of my business and not that I would retell, it just really interests me.    I highly recommend this book, especially if you have been involved with Asian adoption, Asia in general, adoption in general .... and I'd love to hear your take on how real or unreal it is. 

A Mother's Love. A Sister's Promise.
Will Two Women Find the Path to Save a Young Woman's Life?

When an insidious genetic disease strikes her family, Harvard graduate Dr. Kai Chang must alert Lily, the sister Kai left on orphanage steps years earlier. Standing in her way are the Powells, Lily's adoptive parents. Gloria Powell, a shy pastor's wife, distrusts Kai and thinks her presence will send their troubled seventeen-year-old over the precipice of teenaged angst. A Texas-sized tornado whirls when Kai summons the Powells to a Fort Worth hotel. Tempers and cultures collide. Can Kai and Gloria, separated by culture and faith but devoted to Lily, reconcile their differences and trust their dreams to God? (picture and description from amazon.com)


O:)
Melissa

No comments: