Monday, September 1, 2014

The will of wisteria, book #24


Since I was having some first world problems with my Paperwhite, I decided to read this one from my dear friend Denise Hildreth-Jones.  We had a copy in our church library, but somehow we lost it so I finally ordered another one.  I started it just a few days ago and spent the first 1/3 of the book deciding if I had read it after all some other time.  I was starting to get grumpy about it, but about 1/2 way through I did indeed realize I had not.  What a relief!  There are too many books in this world I want to read that I don't want to waste my time reading one I have already read!!  I mean, hey ....


Alas, I digress.  Ok, about the book.  Ahhh... it is set in Charleston, SC which I have visited once in person and several times in books.  Reading this brought back to mind all those hot muggy days we were there, but also I could exactly picture where the characters were.  It is different than her other books, but now after having read all of them, I see what a diverse fiction writer she is.  The first ones I read were the Savannah series, which had me rolling in laughter the entire time.  The First Gardener had me tears the whole time.  Hurricanes in Paradise had me set right in my dream place in the Bahamas.  This one, however, took me a little time to get into.  I mean, yeah, getting kidnapped in the middle of the night and ending up in a dark room with your estranged siblings, it does "grab" you, but I just kept trying to decide if any of them really understood what was at stake.  Once the book got rolling, though, I'm pretty sure I read it in about 4 days because there was never a place to stop and leave these folks ... I HAD to see what was going to happen next!!!  

Thumbs up for this one, and actually anything my by good buddy!!

Four headstrong siblings must satisfy their father's dying demands--or risk losing his fortune. Let the clash of wills begin.

Charleston blue blood Clayton Wilcott "got religion" late in life; so late, it turns out his kids never took to it. So he's left a provisional will delivered in a highly unorthodox way.
Now they're going to have to honor Daddy's commandments from beyond the grave--for a full year--or be cut off from their substantial inheritances.The scent of wisteria lingers in the air as the four spoiled Wilcotts battle for their birthright. Told in Denise Hildreth's trademark blend of humor and heart, this Southern tale is about learning to love, learning to live, and learning to bend.

(picture and description from amazon.com)

O:)
Melissa

No comments: