Saturday, October 4, 2014

The confession, book #29

Oh, Robert Whitlow, you slay me.  Every time I read you, you  slay me.  And I love it.  Every. Time.  Remember this? And this? And then there were all the other ones I didn't blog about. 

I found this book at LifeWay a while ago and couldn't wait to start it.  I didn't have to read the back, because I knew it would not matter.  He will never disappoint!  

This book finds us in Paxton, GA with Holt Douglas as assistant DA.  He likes his job, even though he knows he could be making more money in private practice.  When a cold case file accidentally shows up on this desk, his life will never be the same.  Even though he was warned repeatedly not to reopen it, there were too many unanswered questions he could not professionally let go.  But sometimes what seems like the obvious truth is not even remotely close to the real truth.  And while some things are truly better left in the past, some things that have been buried deep need to come out so you can clear your conscience once and for all.  Theme?  Confession and forgiveness is the only way you can truly be free!!  

There were so many things I loved about this book, but the LORD also used it to speak to me in a way I was not expecting.  There is a particular young man I am praying for to open his heart to Jesus, and so far as I can tell this young man is not open to that at this time.  But I keep praying, even with the disappointment I faced this week in regards to that, because you just never know what is really going on behind the scenes.  Any prayers you want to offer for him would be greatly appreciated!!


Confession is good for the soul, but it could mean death to an ambitious young lawyer.  Assistant DA Holt Douglas has made a career of getting confessions from criminals. With a confession in hand, he knows a guilty plea is soon to follow.  In the midst of professional success, Holt is haunted by asecret—a lie he buried in the grave of his best friend. Holt’s crime is hidden from all eyes — family, friends, police, and his soon-to-be fiancé.  But the truth has a way of coming back to life.  With obsessive prosecutorial zeal, Holt reopens a cold case involving the death of the town’s wealthiest citizen. The man’s death was ruled a suicide, but Holt suspects murder. Facing fierce opposition, he is determined to expose the killer. Holt slowly begins to unravel the facts.  And comes face-to-face with his own guilty conscience. With his job, his relationship with the woman he loves, and his future at risk, Holt skirts the boundary between truth and lies, confession and hypocrisy, redemption and ruin. Can he survive long enough to finally make the right choice?  (description and picture from amazon)

Keep Reading!!
O:)
Melissa




No comments: