Sunday, January 18, 2015

Band of Sisters, book #2

Be still my shaking heart.  I have found another amazing book.  Ok, I didn't like Part One as much, but I completely understand how it set the stage for Part Two.  I was a little concerned on Thursday when I realized next week was Book Club week and I was less than half done.  I had a fairly packed weekend (still ignoring the Christmas stuff) and wasn't sure how I was going to get it done, but I did.

We chose this book for two different reasons.  First off, because it was a different time period and place that we did not read about much, the 1910s in New York.  Secondly, it seemed to be more about a "sisterhood" and women helping women.  Much as I love that "romance" Christian Fiction, I do like to take a breather.  This book had it all ..... murder, mystery, intrigue, a tiny bit of romance, family trials, distrust, questioning truth, and expertly woven in the gospel in a way I would have not expected, but made clearly simple and true, the way it is supposed to be.  

While waiting at the doctor's office the other day, Leah (middle child) rolled her eyes at me and said, "Well, I'm probably going to be sorry I asked this, but what is your book about?"  After a deep breath I started in and 15-20 minutes later she said, "So what is going on now?" I looked at her and said, "That all happened before the book even starts!  If you want to know what happened THEN..." and at that time the doctor came in and "rescued" her from another round.  

That being said, What is the book about?  All I can say is, you have to read it for yourself.  It will open your eyes to things you may or may not have even known about regarding "white slavery" in that time period and the atrocities that faced young women coming to America.  So innocent, so full of hopes and dreams ..... so easily misguided before they even knew what happened to them.  

Maureen O’Reilly and her younger sister flee Ireland in hope of claiming the life promised to their father over twenty years before. After surviving the rigors of Ellis Island, Maureen learns that their benefactor, Colonel Wakefield, has died. His family, refusing to own his Civil War debt, casts her out. Alone, impoverished, and in danger of deportation, Maureen connives to obtain employment in a prominent department store. But she soon discovers that the elegant facade hides a secret that threatens every vulnerable woman in the city.Despite her family’s disapproval, Olivia Wakefield determines to honor her father’s debt but can’t find Maureen. Unexpected help comes from a local businessman, whom Olivia begins to see as more than an ally, even as she fears the secrets he’s hiding. As women begin disappearing from the store, Olivia rallies influential ladies in her circle to help Maureen take a stand against injustice and fight for the lives of their growing band of sisters. But can either woman open her heart to divine leading or the love it might bring?  (picture and description from amazon)

Whew.  Deep breath.  Now to decide which pile to move on to next!

O:)
Melissa



No comments: