Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Luke, book #50

Well, I have been so busy reading, working, driving my kids around, going to Texas, sewing, and who knows what else, that I have gotten behind on updating this blog!  So since I am so close I can taste it to being finished I decided to take a break and catch up on posting.  I am sure that there are less than five people who are even reading this, but it is a good reference for me and it keeps me up on my writing skills.

Of course, with Luke, we mainly think of the Christmas story, but it is indeed so much more than that.  As I mentioned in my last post, Dr. Luke is a details guy and he did not disappoint.  

Takeaways:

1:50 His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.  Even when humans have no mercy, GOD always does!

3:1-20 John the Baptist Prepares the Way - Did you ever wonder if John knew Jesus was his cousin?  When you read through the gospels of John's interactions with Jesus, there is nothing that makes you think he knew.


5:5  Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” Reminds me of my favorite story in the old testament about the widow of Zarepheth. (1 Kings 17)  She thought Elijah was crazy to ask her to give him her last bit of bread when she and her son were about to starve, but she did anyway and was blessed beyond measure.  Same here.  We must learn to follow God's directions even when it makes no sense.

6:21-25 In my Bible I have a hand written note that calls this the Sermon on the Plain, these blessings and woes. 

Blessed are you who hunger now,
    for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh. ...

  Woe to you who are well fed now,
    for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
    for you will mourn and weep.

It seems that the NOW point is well made.  Here is these days and times NOW is an important thing, but He wants us to not think about NOW.

8:39  “Return home and tell how much God has done for you.” So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him. Often times Jesus would tell people He healed to not tell anyone, but here He specifically told the man to "return home and tell."

9:45 But they did not understand what this meant. It was hidden from them, so that they did not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask him about it. So why exactly was He always telling them things that were "hidden from them"?  Was it because the messages were for us?

12:4 I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. Again, reminds me of the Egyptian Christians who were killed earlier this year.  And all the others killed for following Jesus.  Do not be afraid, they can do NO MORE.

And now it is time to get moving again...hope to write more later today, depending on how my day goes!

O:)
Melissa 

No comments: