Saturday, April 4, 2015

Mark, book #49

You know, I've heard Mark's gospel described as being the newspaper version and reading it back to back from Matthew I can see now why they do!  Mark is like BAM! then this happened and then BAM! this happened and then BAM! this happened!!  No wonder he was able to tell his version in only 16 chapters!

A few interesting takeaways:

2:27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.  Again, most typical Sundays in "good Christian homes" involving Sunday School, worship service, teaching, home, back to teach/attend class, worship service and maybe even choir practice is probably NOT what the Lord had in mind for Sabbath.  I think He gave us a clue here in this verse .. Sabbath [rest] was made for man .. but what DOES Sabbath look like here in 2015?  All I think is, there is no rest for the weary ...

5:34  He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” Again, is my faith not strong enough for my healing?

6:47-50 Later that night, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. Shortly before dawn he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, because they all saw him and were terrified.  I wonder how many times Jesus has almost passed me by and I didn't recognize him.

9:43-47  If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.  And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,  Follows the whole - what does a blessing from the Lord really look like? - theme.  

10:27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”  The whole Nothing is Impossible with God theme is one I have claimed for my family, even when things still seem impossible.  I see it used over and over and one day [soon!] I want to find all the times this is used and make a list of them.  

The next version is Luke's and I sure it will be speaking to that detail-oriented side of me! ;)

Happy Reading!

O:)
Melissa

No comments: