Friday, April 3, 2015

Matthew, book #47






From my Facebook, April 2 ...


So I am plowing through Matthew these last two days. This part is challenging in its own way. Having been in church since I a baby, I have heard these stories and all these precious words of Jesus approximately 5478 times, or more. So, sometimes yesterday as I was reading, in my head I was like, "yeah, yeah, yeah, heard it 5478 times ..." and it seemed to have lost its amazingness. (For those who have been in church that long you know you have done it too!) So this morning as I sat down to read I just prayed, "Lord, help me to see this in a new light. Help it come alive to me again." I started in around chapter 16 with Peter's confession of Christ, the Transfiguration, some parables, Rich Young ruler, etc. Since I am reading this in a Bible that I have not used as much it is not as marked up as others I use more often. So several of the verses that I learned as a child were just sort of lost to me (as in, not highlighted, marked, popped out, circled, as they would have been in my other Bibles.) Of course, I recognized them right away from all my years in Sunday School and Bible Drill and Bible Study and my Christian college ... but it really gave me pause to realize how many of these VERSES and PASSAGES I knew by heart. Is it because I've read them so often? Is it because of Bible Drill? Is it from Beth Moore or others studies? But the thing that really got me was, are my children learning these too? Will they, when they are 47ish, be able to KNOW these verses; not necessarily quote word for word (although possibly) and maybe not know exactly where it is in the Bible, but will they KNOW them? So often in times of valleys all I could do was muster up those verses I knew and repeat them until I could start walking up the hill again.

It was very convicting to me as a parent. What have I done to instill them in my children? Since some of my children have not followed through with Bible Drill as much as I would like, I feel like a failure for not pushing them to stick with it, for not helping them more, for not encouraging them more. But by that same token, I realize when it comes down to it, it is them and the Lord. I don't know if when I was 11, 13, 15 I saw the value of just memorizing scripture but it was being hidden in my heart all the same.

........

Another thing that has really been rolling around in my head lately is about blessings from the Lord.  I can't find or remember exactly where I heard this story, so be patient with me as I paraphrase it.  
 
There was once two neighbors who had different types of "blessings".  One neighbor had bountiful crops, healthy lives, plenty of food, clothing, warmth and a beautiful home.  Daily they thanked the Lord for His blessings on them.  The other neighbor had a crop failure, thus resulting in not enough money for heat, food, clothing.  And then his wife got very sick.  Despite all that, though, they still thanked the Lord for His blessings of a little food, and for His constant daily presence.  

So the question begs itself, who was truly blessed more?  The one with the comforts of this world, when it is easy to feel blessed, or the one who had next to nothing, when it is harder to feel blessed? Did He really pour out His blessings on both of them?  I believe, absolutely, YES!  Does that mean I would want to be the neighbor that had less?  No! but when I think of the eternal rewards I say Yes!  
 
But in my day to day living, keeping up with the house that is always mess, dirty dishes always in the sink, toting my kids back and forth and back and forth to school, gymnastics, fencing, practice, church, work, it sure makes it hard to stop and focus.  

It ties right in to the Beatitudes, 5:3-12:
 

The Beatitudes

He said:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
 
Now, what do I do with this?  As I was driving Katie back to school (see above!) from her well check yesterday I was just thanking God for her well and healthy body and it came to me again ... am I truly thankful, or am I missing a different type of blessing?
 
Reminds me of a poem I saw today on Facebook from my beloved Kate Watkins:
 
May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths and superficial relationships so that you will live deep in your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation of people and the earth so that you will work for justice, equity and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer so that you will reach out with your hands to comfort them and change their pain into joy

And may God bless you with the foolishness to think that you can make a difference in the world so that you will do the things which others say cannot be done.

~Traditional Franciscan Benediction


O:)
Melissa
 

No comments: