Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The death of a dream and the birth of a new one


As the stories go, when I was a little girl and Uncle Dan was a little boy, one of my fondest memories was always in August of going to the Indiana State Fair. The fair was always open from early in the morning until late at night the entire run. I remember as small children getting up early and watching our favorite morning show live from the fair and we would always get so excited until it was our day to go to the fair.

As I remember it, my dad would get home early from work and we would head on over after the August heat had subsided some. We would always eat corndogs, we would always look at all the animals (I remember seeing a pig once that weighed as much as a car!), we would always look at all the pictures, quilts, cakes, you name it, we would always go to the Manufactures Building and look at all the booths and get tons of cool free stuff (now commonly referred to as junk as an adult), we would always ride the double ferris wheel, and the roller coaster that had a small car you rode up a tunnel of sorts, then came down round and round the tunnel and we always ate elephant ears at the end of the day. Aaah, childhood memories at their best...

When the Williamson County fair started up again in 2005, I could hardly wait to take my girls and open their eyes to all the excitement. Only guess what, it wasn't like I thought it would be. In their defense, it is only a county fair and it was the first time they had one in 50 years. Ok, I can give them a break. They did have a pretty cool ferris wheel, even if it wasn't a double one, and their corndogs were not so bad. And they even had elephant ears! But last night when we went, I made a very sad conclusion and decision. It all started when we went to get our supper of corndogs, nachos and water and the vendor told me it was $42.00! This is no lie! So we put back the nachos and got only 2 waters and instead paid $30. Again, no lie! After that things perked up some and we went through the Little Ones Farming Exhibit, saw some cool animals, including baby pigs that were 2 days old, and rode the ferris wheel (for $20). Then we rounded out the night with a funnel cake (no more elephant ears...). As we sat eating, I confessed, "Dear family, I think it is time I put to death my dream of making our fair experience as wonderful and priceless as the one I had growing up. It cannot compare, so we will just have to start our own new fair traditions, the ones you all will treasure forever and share with your children." It was a sad - more bittersweet, I guess - admittance, but I knew it was time. We all agreed it was ok to let the corndogs go and maybe try a big old turkey leg instead. But funnel cakes would certainly have to still be involved!

O:)
Melissa

No comments: