Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lucky me (and lucky them)










On Monday, August 18 (also SoloHombere's bday, fyi) I had the extreme privilege of mailing four boxes stuffed full of books -- and some American goodies! -- to some new friends in Thailand! Let me back up....

For those of you who don't know me, my two favorite things besides Jesus and my family are scrapbooking and reading. (I am the also the church librarian at our church.) While in Thailand I got the chance to do scrapbooking with those precious ladies (read my TL blog about all that...) and on the very last day of the conference I found out they were in the process of starting a library with English Christian fiction and were just getting books where they could. Needless to say, it is very expensive to get books over there and they were just going to do what they could when they could with what they had. Well, the librarian in me just about burst when I thought about all the extra books we had sitting ar0und our library that I knew I had to get to them somehow. I got in touch with the person doing it and got a feel for what they were looking for. These English Christian fiction books are very valuable over there because the missionaries don't ever get to read books like that, mainly because they don't have them!

When I got back home and started checking about how to get the books to them, I realized it was going to cost over $150. I knew I could not pay that out of my pocket, but I knew I had to get the books over there. In June we had the opportunity to share about our trip at one of our ladies meetings and I just got brave and asked for the money, explaining what it was going for. That night I passed an envelop around and lo and behold I got over $215! Thank you Jesus!!! With the extra money I was able to send four boxes with about 60 books total and had room for some goodies like Goldfish, chocolate and Teddy Grahams.

It may take over a month to get there, but I can't wait to hear how God uses them! I'll let you know when I hear from them!

By the way, if you are interested in donating money for the mailing fund, please let me know at kidbook1@bellsouth.net . I would like to be able to send them a box every time I get another $50 to mail it.

O:)
Melissa

No comments: