Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Hannah's List, book #42

This book is one I have been anxious to read since I started the Blossom Street series, and once again Debbie Macomber did not disappoint.  The more I read her books (although I am going to try to limit myself to just this series!) the more I love her style.  She intersperses big words that still make this 46 year old use her context clues, and she uses lots of detail, then explains in the story why that detail is important.  

Hannah's List also hit home to me because of the topic.  Hannah and Michael had been married for more than a decade when they discovered stage 4 cancer.  She tried chemo and radiation, but since it was an aggressive cancer she was gone before he knew what hit him.  Hannah was his one love, his only love, and the past year he spent in depression, grieving, and almost became "at home" with it.  

Then on the one year "anniversary" of her death his brother in law (aka best friend) gave him a letter Hannah wrote, encouraging him to move on, stop moping -- as she knew he would be! -- and find someone new to marry to make him happy and have children.  

Here is where this hits home to me.  No, as far as I know I do not have cancer and besides these menacing migraines I'm healthy as a horse.  But I do think about my girls.  And Roger.  And what would happen if I did die before him while the girls were still at home. I have do have one dear friend on my "list" (which he knows about!) but as much as I love her I'm not sure she may be the best.  I know it is a dismal topic, but I would like to have a few friends, if any are left unmarried, to encourage Roger to consider.  That poor boy will need all the help he can get to carry on with the girls!!

That said, let's hope I don't ever have to use it.

You really will enjoy this book, written in first place from various characters points of view, but mainly Michael's.  


On the anniversary of his beloved wife's death, Dr. Michael Everett receives a letter Hannah had written him.  

In it she reminds him of her love and makes one final request. An impossible request. I want you to marry again. She tells him he shouldn't spend the years he has left grieving—and she's chosen three women she asks him to consider.

First on Hannah's list is her cousin, Winter Adams, a chef who owns a cafĂ© on Seattle's Blossom Street. The second is Leanne Lancaster, Hannah's oncology nurse. Michael knows them both. But the third name is one he's not familiar with—Macy Roth.

During the months that follow, he spends time with these three women, learning more about each of them…and about himself. Learning what Hannah already knew. He's a man who needs the completeness only love can offer. And Hannah's list leads him to the woman who can help him find it.
(picture and description at amazon.com)

O:)
Melissa


No comments: