Saturday, September 14, 2013

Si-Cology 1, book #41

Uncle Si, Uncle Si, Uncle Si, what are we going to do with you?!?!?  I am currently in the "take in everything I can about the Robertson's" stage since we were late comers to the Duck Dynasty fan club.  So, when this book came out I couldn't wait to get it in my hands and read it.  

However, I was a little disappointed.  I mean, in reality, Uncle Si is a little bit like the cherry on top of the milkshake.  It's just what it needs in small doses, but really if you had any more than, say, 5 cherries, it would be overload.  So in some respects this book wasn't quite overload, mainly because it almost seemed like two people were writing this.  It was interesting to read about his growing up years, his time in Vietnam and Germany, his wife and kids.  And it was refreshing how he could take all the hard times he had endured and use that quirky personality to make them bearable.  But it would have been more enjoyable if it had of been written 3rd person with his antics stuck in between the "real" part.  That way you would have known how to distinguish between the two.  Or maybe there is another side of Si, the serious one, that we never see on TV.   

As you read this book, there are a few things you have to understand: 95 percent of my stories are truthful. Every member of the Robertson family has the God- given gift of storytelling. Hey, when you’ve sat in a duck blind for more than half of your life, you have to figure out some way to pass the time! It’s better than looking at Willie and Jase for six hours! Many of the stories I like to tell happened when I was a young boy or when I was in Vietnam. At my age, a few of the details are cloudy, but I’ll recollect the coming stories as best I can. Hey, just remember it isn’t a lie if you think it’s true! It’s up to you, the reader, to figure out what’s truth and what’s fiction. Best of luck with that, Jack! May the force be with you.
Hey, another thing you have to know: my stories are kind of like my vocabulary. You might have noticed I like to say “hey” quite a bit. “Hey” can mean anything. It can mean “yes,” it can mean “maybe,” and it can mean “no.” Hey, it could mean “next week.” The bottom line is, you have to understand “hey” to understand me.

And if you know anything about Silas Merritt Robertson, you know I’m a hard rascal to figure out.

—From the Prologue

(picture and description from amazon.com)


O:)
Melissa


No comments: