Monday, February 16, 2015

1 and 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, books #12-14

Whew!  It's amazing that once there is a story plot the reading picks up so much quicker!   

In 1 Samuel is when David, Jonathan and Saul come into the picture and all that mess.  My main takeaway from 1 Samuel comes in chapter 29.  The Philistines are getting ready to fight the Israelites (surprise, surprise).  Long story short, David wanted to fight in Battle A but the commander wouldn't let him.  David was really bummed, and reminded him how awesome he was at fighting and winning.  But that did not sway the commanders this time.  Heavy hearted, David and his men went back to Ziklag, where they lived.  Well, while David and the others were out getting ready for Battle A, the Amalekites (other bad people who like to fight) had gone to Ziklag and burned it, taking all the women "and all who were in [Ziklag]".  Needless to say, David was not happy about this, so after their little crying fest, they summoned themselves together (with approval from the Lord), went after the Amalekites (Battle B) and got all their goods back.  18 David recovered everything the Amalekites had taken, including his two wives. 19 Nothing was missing: young or old, boy or girl, plunder or anything else they had taken. David brought everything back. 20 He took all the flocks and herds, and his men drove them ahead of the other livestock, saying, “This is David’s plunder.” (Chapter 30) So even though David wanted to do A, he was obedient and did B which was even better than A would 
have been!

Then comes 2 Samuel, which is still confusing to me why they named it that, since Samuel died in 1 Samuel.  Seems to me they should have either named it 1 Kings (and had 2 Kings and 3 Kings) or David. But whatever, I'll add that to my list of questions for when I get to heaven.

I have always been amazed at David's tenderness toward Absalom, despite how mean he was toward David.  I guess that just shows how tender a love for your child can be, no matter what.  

In 1 Kings we start in on the Northern Kingdom (the "bad" guys) and the Southern Kingdom (the less "bad" guys).  Again, as with life, it always amazes me, yet makes me sad how the LORD can bless and bless and bless and then people are still disobedient and make so much trouble for themselves!!  

Solomon had so much good, and ended up blowing it.  And because he blew it, the LORD divided the kingdom in half, thus starting Israel and Judah.  I have taken to using two different colored pens for each king's name to attempt to keep them straight!  I also have a running list of the kings for each side. It never ceases to amaze me to think all these tribes came from one family of brothers years and years before.  (I mean, not that those brothers were good buddies or anything, but family nonetheless!)  

Chapter 17 includes my favorite story, the widow at Zarephath.  Even though she had NOTHING extra to give, she gave anyway and was blessed for the rest of her days.  (Well, there was that whole dead son thing, but again GOD was good in that!) 

And Elijah, who trusted so much in the LORD, and because of his faithfulness and boldness to share the words from the LORD to the king, had an AMAZING experience at Mt. Carmel where his sacrifice totally beat the attempted sacrifice of Baal.  But right after that, Queen Jezebel got super mad and lit after him.  He immediately went into hiding from her.  And, seeing the big picture, I think, "Really?  The LORD just showed Himself so huge with that whole Mt. Carmel thing and you are scared of her?"  But then I think of how many times that has played over and over and over again in my life.  Why do I get afraid, nervous, scared, about money, about jobs, about my kids, when GOD has been so faithful to ME over and over and over again?

In other book reading news, I gave up on my Book Club book.  It was not drawing me in and I knew I did not need to pressure of finishing a book I wasn't wild about AT THIS TIME.  Let it be noted, I am not a quitter and will read it at some time -- because I can't just NOT finish a book! -- but until I get through my Bible Reading Challenge my time is pretty precious to me.  I actually took the leap and decided to move on to the book we already chose for March, figuring there won't be as much pressure for me with that!!  

Happy Reading!

O:)
Melissa

No comments: