Saturday, February 28, 2015

Migraines and Job, book #22


Ok, there were some pretty scary pictures of Job out there, but at least this one makes it not so dreadful!  :)

Job, whew.  What can I say? We've all been there, some more recent than others, and some in varying degrees.  I love that this book is in the Bible, if only to show us that is ok to question God, to be "mad" at God, and to "argue" with God, and that in the end GOD still reigns supreme.  Yes, God did come back and remind Job who was who, but at the end, it was his "friends" who had the potential to recieve the worst punishment and not Job.

The one thing that leaped out at me this time reading through that perhaps has not before is when the sweet little Elihu spoke up.  He was telling Job how God did answer, just in different ways than you might expect.  In chapter 33 he says, 

19 Or someone may be chastened on a bed of pain
    with constant distress in their bones,
20 so that their body finds food repulsive
    and their soul loathes the choicest meal.

and it reminded me of the lesson of my migraines.  Ever since I was in 10th grade when I clearly remember my first one, I have suffered off and on with them.  Sometimes they are mild, or dull, and sometimes when they accompany throw up, stomach pains, etc I want to beg like Job for Jesus to return, for my head to be cut off, or for the LORD to just kill me right then.  For many decades I would just cry, beg for relief, and try to sleep and finally them would pass.  But years ago the Lord came to me and deliver[ed me] in [my] suffering; he [spoke] to [me] in [my] affliction. (36:15) I don't actually remember audible words, but I know He said, "I will not heal you from these, but when I afflict you, pray for others."  So since then whenever I am down and out with these and get over my initial "GRRRR"-ing about the situation, I lay back down and start praying about every situation I can think of, whether it be prayers of thanksgiving or prayers for mercy or deliverance or wisdom or comfort, just whatever I can think of.  Is there an immediate healing?  Nope.  Depending on what level of pain it is, I still hurt, but I just do what He tells me to do.  I keep praying.  

As my girls get older and closer to the age that I started with them, my MommaBear heart prays they won't be riddled with these migraines even though they are slightly hereditary.  But then I remind myself, maybe that is how the Lord is going to work through them.  Maybe they need the migraines so they can learn some lessons from Him too.  Ouch.  

Finally, Psalms.  

Keep reading!

O:)
Melissa



No comments: